Mini-facelift is a minimally invasive procedure designed to tighten and smooth the lower face. Often called the “weekend facelift,” the mini-facelift is used to decrease the signs of aging in the neck and jaw areas. By removing excess skin and fatty deposits and lifting the skin, the lower face takes on a smoother, younger appearance.
Often can be performed under local anesthesia, there is usually little to no pain and even less swelling and bruising. A mini-facelift requires shorter downtime than other procedures. The results of a mini-facelift are not as long-lasting as those of a full facelift, but this procedure is appealing to many who are looking for gradual, subtle changes, quickly. Many Abramson Facial Plastic Surgery & Rejuvenation Center patients choose to have chin, cheek or jowl liposuction done at the same time.
Preparation Recommendations for a Mini-Lift Procedure
For patients about to undergo a mini-facelift, Dr. Abramson makes the following recommendations as you prepare for the procedure:
- Eat a healthy diet rich in nutrients.
- Do not smoke in the weeks surrounding the procedure.
- Do not take pain medication containing aspirin or ibuprofen, and alert Dr. Abramson to any other medication you may need to take.
- After midnight the night before your procedure, you may not eat or drink.
- You may not wear makeup or contact lenses to your surgery.
- You must have a friend or relative to drive you to and from your procedure and help you in the following days.
Mini-Facelift Procedure Overview
The experts at Abramson Facial Plastic Surgery & Rejuvenation Center have years of experience performing mini-facelift surgeries. Below is the specific procedure Dr. Abramson follows for mini-facelift surgery (chin, anterior or posterior procedures):
- You will be draped and the affected facial area will be cleansed with an antiseptic solution.
- You will be given local anesthesia, and a sedative, if needed, to help you relax.
- The under-the-chin facelift targets the excess fat in the neck and jaw area. A small incision will be made through which liposuction will be performed using a cannula.
- Skin will be tightened inwardly using a laser, and muscles will be tightened with sutures.
- Sutures will close the small incision and a dressing will be applied.
- The anterior mini-facelift targets the chin, jawline and lower cheeks.
- An incision will be made in front of the ears and into the scalp as inconspicuously as possible.
- Skin will be lifted and re-laid, fatty deposits will be removed or repositioned and excess skin will be tightened.
- Sutures will close the incision and a dressing will be applied.
- The posterior mini-facelift tightens skin in the jowls and neck.
- Incisions will be made low behind the ears into the nape of the neck.
- Skin will be lifted and re-laid along the incision line, which will be closed with sutures.
Recovery from mini-facelift surgery varies with each procedure. The under-the-chin mini-facelift takes the least amount of time to recover, and most patients choose to have more extensive procedures performed at the same time.
The anterior mini-facelift usually takes a week or less, and discomfort is less intense than with traditional facelift.
In the case of the posterior mini-facelift, recovery takes about one week. Even though you may be up and about in a day or two, you will need to take it easy for at least a week. You must avoid rigorous activity for 2-3 weeks following your surgery.
Following the specific instructions given by the specialists at Abramson Facial Plastic Surgery & Rejuvenation Center is the most important factor in ensuring a good recovery and satisfaction with your surgery. contact our office today for more information or to schedule a mini-facelift consultation with Dr. Abramson.